On Friday, November 17, a new episode of the series “7 vs. Wild” that generated a lot of discussion among viewers. Because something unforeseen happened: the favorites to win the relay were eliminated.
Spoiler warning: The third season of “7 vs. Wild” is currently streaming on the Amazon service Freevee. However, many people want to wait until the show is on YouTube before watching the season and discussing it. We discuss what happens in episode 6 of the article.
This is the situation:
- Participants Fritz Meinecke and Survival Mattin were considered the favorites to win the 7 vs. team relay. Wild. Both are experienced survival specialists.
- But now this team is the first to be eliminated. Without a source of fresh water, on day 3 they no longer saw the option of continuing the relay and asked for it to stop immediately.
- Fans now enthusiastically discuss what happened there and, above all, the reasons. Participant Fritz Meinecke commented on the speculation.
One of the participants of 7 vs. Wild:
Seawater salinizes the river, the only source of fresh water
Why did they both leave? The journey of the experienced survival specialists was not good from the beginning: YouTuber “Survival Mattin” has a chronic back problem that flared up after a few days and began to affect him: he said he did not want to confess it. but now he will get older and he won’t be able to do it anymore, he has to admit it to himself.
As a result, he seemed increasingly depressed and worried about himself.
Meinecke was worried about his companion, who only walked with a cane. Climbing and running are counterproductive to his health and he also seems absent. Even resting in the bed he made himself didn’t really do him any good.
“Difficult,” Meinecke repeated over and over again.
But the duo’s downfall came when their only source of drinking water, a nearby river, was flooded with seawater during an overnight storm. They decided the water was too salty to continue drinking. Even when they walked about a kilometer along the river, they found no drinking water.
Survival Martin goes on to say that he is very sensitive to salt and can taste it exactly, but there is nothing there. If you drank this water, you would cause kidney damage and die of thirst even if you were drinking.
At that point they had not had anything to drink for about 16 hours, had not stocked up on water, and were “well into the second phase of dehydration.”
“Nature is powerful”
Have you tried everything? After the two realized that there was no fresh water in the river, they tried to go in another direction, but only found brackish water from the wasteland, which caused “stomach rumblings” after just a few sips.
They both thought that drinking 2 liters of wasteland water every day for 11 days was completely absurd.
In the end, after hours of deliberation, the two experts decided that they simply had no options left. It is not realistic that the situation will improve the next day.
“In a real situation,” we would simply walk in one direction for hours and then find water or “die.” In the 7 vs. simulation Wild, you don’t want to run in one direction for that long, otherwise you’ll run into other teams and jeopardize the rescue chain.
Finally the two gave up. A big problem, especially for Meinecke. He said it felt like validating one’s own suicide. Because in this scenario, ultimately, failure itself corresponds to death in nature.
Survival Martin said his departure shows why surviving is no fun and that in real situations, “people die.” Nature is powerful, you are just a pawn.
Viewers critically discuss elimination of favorites
How is this discussed? There are 3 reading styles in the community:
- Some say the organization is to blame. The team encountered an impossible location when the only source of water became undrinkable due to the weather.
- Others put the blame squarely on the duo: they made “too little effort” to explore the place properly and were too careless. So one couldn’t understand why the two hadn’t created any “water supply” (via reddit).
- Third parties don’t really believe that lack of water was the problem. Rather, it should have been the state of Survival Martin’s health: this probably resonates with the idea that they faked a reason for leaving so that Survival Mattin could save face and not give up due to physical suffering and “loss of morale.”
Meinecke: “The situation is distorted”
This is what Meinecke says: Fritz Meinecke is in such a difficult situation that he doesn’t want to react yet because he wants to wait until the episode appears on YouTube in a few weeks.
He says he has received many messages and feels that the “real situation” is being portrayed in a distorted way. She will comment in detail on this in a few weeks.
This is what’s behind it: It seems cynical when the people at home, sitting in comfortable armchairs, explain to the men in the desert how they would have “survived” in their situation. But that’s the appeal of the format, that you wonder how you would have behaved if you were in the participants’ shoes.
In any case, it is a big surprise that Meinecke and Survival Martin are eliminated so soon, while outsiders like Papaplatte and Reeze treat themselves to the first Maggi broth and are in seventh heaven.
7 vs. Wild will probably start with problems, fans complain: “Quality is almost impossible”