Many people are already familiar with the superfood barley grass, but what about wheat grass? Does food have so many positive health effects? We explain and present wheatgrass with all its effects.
Wheatgrass: what is it?
In recent years, wheatgrass has become an increasingly popular superfood consumed by health-conscious people. This is one young wheat plant, which is harvested four to ten days after germination, long before the ears form. Hence wheatgrass without gluten – Only the threshing floors contain gluten, not the grass. The stems are usually dried and then pressed or ground. That is why wheatgrass is mainly available in powder form and consumed as a dietary supplement. You can also buy the superfood in juice form.
The nutritional values of wheatgrass: this is what it contains
Wheatgrass is known to be impressive nutrient profile. It contains a wide range of vitamins, minerals, enzymes, fiber and antioxidants. The Max Rubner Institute (MRI) in Karlsruhe has produced a nutritional table based on various publications. According to this table, wheatgrass is rich in vitamin C, iron and zinc. However, the values given in different publications vary considerably. For example, for the Iron content The values are between 14.2 and 133.2 milligrams per 100 grams of fresh wheatgrass, while the values for vitamin C They were between 35 and 75 milligrams per 100 grams. In comparison, oranges contain about 50 milligrams of vitamin C and parsley only 3.6 milligrams of iron per 100 grams. You can find more inspiration on foods containing iron here.
Wheatgrass also has a high proportion of vitamins A, E and B, as well as calcium, magnesium, selenium and potassium. Grass also provides everyone essential amino acids such as lysine, tryptophan and arginine. These are basic protein components that are involved in various metabolic processes in the body and that our body cannot produce on its own, but must absorb through food.
It should be noted that there is no official table of nutritional values for wheatgrass and there are various factors such as soil, harvest time and location. Nutritional content influence. Powdered products also contain fewer vital substances than fresh wheatgrass, since many of them, especially the heat sensitive vitamins, lost during the drying process. However, in a freshly squeezed wheatgrass juice they are largely preserved.
In the clip: There are no superfoods: these foods are not as healthy as you think
Wheatgrass effect: many positive effects
Wheatgrass is often used as superfood designated. Due to its nutrient density, it offers many health benefits:
- The vitamins contained in wheatgrass help… to strengthen the immune system and reduce the risk of disease.
- The minerals and trace elements found in the herb are important for bone healthmuscles and the cardiovascular system.
- There is evidence that wheatgrass chronic inflammatory bowel disease How it could relieve ulcerative colitis. This was demonstrated by studies from the Chinese University of Hong Kong in 2013 and the Technion (Israel Technical University) in 2002. Further studies They are, however, necessary. Fiber-rich wheat grass also promotes digestion.
- Another Technion study published in 2007 involving breast cancer patients treated with chemotherapy found that the active ingredients in wheatgrass juice may have an inhibitory effect. Myelotoxicity have. This is a life-threatening decrease in cells responsible for blood clotting, oxygen delivery and immunity. Further studies However, they are necessary to confirm it.
- Animal studies have shown that wheatgrass reduces cholesterol levels. However, within the framework of a nutritional study, scientists at the Max Rubner Institute, in collaboration with the University of Karlsruhe and the Walter Mill Palatinate, could not determine any influence of wheatgrass on cholesterol levels. Instead, the study found that wheatgrass was a good source of the yellow grass. lutein, plant pigment is. Like chlorophyll, it protects cells from free radicals. Since lutein is found in large quantities in the retina of the eye, scientists hypothesize that it also causes a healthy eye function contributes.
Application: wheatgrass powder and wheatgrass juice
You benefit best from the effects of wheatgrass when you use it in empty stomach take you Drink freshly squeezed wheatgrass juice (works best with a slow juicer) before breakfast or mix wheatgrass powder into a glass of water, a smoothie, yogurt, cereal, or vegetable juice. There are also several recipes for wheatgrass smoothies. Start with a small dose of three grams daily, which is about one teaspoon. Slowly drink the water or juice in which you dissolved the powder in small sips. Later you can increase the amount up to ten grams (three to four teaspoons). With the correct dosage Wheatgrass can contribute to a balanced diet. But keep in mind that no miracle cureI it is and do not consider it yours Main source for vitamins and minerals. As part of a balanced diet, there is nothing wrong with including additional wheatgrass.
Caution: Ökotest not only found pesticides in the wheatgrass dust, but also mineral oil and heavy metals such as lead and cadmium. Germs such as the E. coli bacteria have also been discovered in them. Therefore, when purchasing, make sure you choose a safe product.
Advice: The Federal Institute for Risk Assessment recommends pregnant people and immunocompromised people consume wheat or barley grass products only after consulting a doctor.
In comparison: wheatgrass or barleygrass?
In addition to wheatgrass, barley grass is often recommended as a superfood. It is also a young herb that comes from the barley plant. Like all true cereals, both belong to the sweet grass family and are barely different from each other. contain one High concentration of nutrients. Both herbs are gluten-free, rich in chlorophyll and minerals such as calcium, potassium, iron, as well as vitamins A, B, C and E. The taste is a small difference: wheatgrass has a bitter taste, Barley has a slightly milder flavor. Barley grass also has a larger one. Protein content like wheat grass.
buy wheat grass
You can find wheatgrass at pharmacies, health food stores, drugstores, and many online stores. Keep One Thing in Mind When Purchasing Wheatgrass Products good quality. It is best to use organic products to avoid exposure to pesticides and other contaminants.
Also interesting: Flour substitute: this is how you can replace wheat flour, etc.
Wheatgrass has many health benefits due to its nutrient density. The vitamins contained in the superfood help, among other things, to strengthen the immune system. The minerals and trace elements found in the herb are important for the health of bones, muscles and the cardiovascular system.
Start with a small dose of three grams of wheatgrass powder per day, which is about one teaspoon. You can gradually increase the amount up to ten grams (three to four teaspoons).
Wheatgrass is mainly available in powder and juice form and is consumed as a dietary supplement. You benefit best from the effects of wheatgrass when you consume it on an empty stomach. Drink wheatgrass juice before breakfast or mix wheatgrass powder with a glass of water, a smoothie, yogurt, cereal, or vegetable juice.
Both superfoods are very similar. Both herbs are gluten-free, rich in chlorophyll and minerals calcium, potassium, iron, as well as vitamins A, B, C and E. The only difference is the taste. Wheatgrass has a bitter taste, barleygrass is a little milder. Barley grass also contains more protein than wheat grass.